This is an editorial by Anthony Feliciano, Bitcoin Event Organizer and Advisor.
Now for the additionnel division of my series on how our smartphones spy on us. You can find the first division here.
In this division I will talk embout:
- Remove your preste operating system from Googling.
- Getting around your SIM, eSIM, and IMEI while using your phone
- Bitcoin and Lightning Network applications that can be used on a de-Googled phone.
- Steps to résidence your withdrawal esquisse.
CalyxOS and GrapheneOS
GrapheneOS offers a google play sandbox:
GrapheneOS has a compatibility layer that provides the alternative to install and use the official versions of Google Play in the conforme app sandbox. Google Play never receives any special access or privileges on GrapheneOS instead of bypassing the app’s sandbox and gaining a massive amount of privileged access. Instead, the compatibility layer teaches it how to run within the app’s full sandbox. It’s also not used as a backend for OS prescriptions like anywhere else bicause GrapheneOS doesn’t even use Google Play when it’s installed.”
“[It] It replaces some functionality of Google Play Rôles while maintaining greater privacy and privacy.”
This allows you to download apps that you already know and use every day.
I’m an existing GrapheneOS noircir and have had a few years now – this is my esquisse to opt out when I’ve had enough of the big tech companies and bypass vrai government. I tested many GrapheneOS features and tools that I can and can’t use. In my next entrefilet I will share what you can also do.
SIM, eSIM and IMEI
Every time you buy a new phone from a provider, you adhere to KYC (Know Your Customer) protocols, and handball your écho over to the cellular provider. In return, you get a new smartphone with an détente SIM card (or on some newer phones eSIM), and set the procession imei number which allows access to the provider’s cellular network. This écho can be division of a procession call advance for logs, along with all data, text, web history, etc. as well. So what can you do? You still want to connect with friends and family, access the internet, and connect with the rest of the world.
You can still écussonner Best Buy today and purchase Unlocked phones cash Money. Buy the cell phone directly, and it won’t be tied to a provider like Verizon, ATT, or T-Errant. There is no personal écho posted, and you can take your phone to any provider you want to access by purchasing a SIM or eSIM card.
* Bitcoiner Pro Tip: You can buy an eSIM and pay via BTC or Lightning.
Intéressement Bitcoiner pro tip: Before buying, make sure when you visit any website, that you are using a procession VPN wow Tor To reduce your online footprint. If you are going to buy via BTC, please make sure to use post-CoinJoin BTC via JoinMarket. For Lightning, make sure that the funds you use to open channels of your assise layer BTC are from the CoinJoin post to make Lightning payments. One example of a website offering eSIMs for BTC is silent, link.
This is the ultimate step in my withdrawal esquisse. When buying a SIM card, the choice is yours. When a SIM card is purchased with cash, the phone’s IMEI number will be given as division of the poussée to ensure it is not blacklisted (stolen). My phone unsubscribed via SIM is not activated, my phone is old model so there is no eSIM alternative. I use Wi-Fi hotspots to access the internet along with VPN and Tor. There is an advanced créer called IMEI spoofing – I haven’t tried this method, but the gardien de but is to get around the blacklisted IMEI from accessing network providers. Changing the SIM card will not help either, bicause the IMEI is still blacklisted.
*Additif – When using Wi-Fi, very little écho embout the device is logged i.e. MAC address, device model, browser used, operating system – your SIM number and IMEI are not logged. However, if your phone connects to a cell tower, the écho will be logged and the records can be easily obtained by simply tracking the IMEI number.
Bitcoin and De-Google Smartphone
Now to the Bitcoiners who are finally tired of all the spying and tracking, let’s add some Bitcoin and Lightning Networks apps to really make your phone the perfect opt-out esquisse.
Below is a list of Bitcoin and Lightning Network applications developed by developers and companies that release them with the name Android Bundle Kits (APK files). APK files are vitally appréciable when using de-Googled phones bicause the developers behind them allow them to be installed on your phone without the need for Google Play and all the tracking behind it. as such samurai I found out, having your app in the Google Play Protection means You have to comply With their request to remove security features. Samourai did the additionnel best thing – immédiat download via APK.
Below are the Bitcoin and Lightning Network apps I use and where to get their APKs, but there’s probably more.
- Zeus: Directly on their homepage there is an APK download. Perfect vigilance to use to connect to your node.
- breezeFrom their Github garçon: “Breez is a Lightning Network preste consommateur and hub. It provides a platform for naturel and époque Bitcoin payments.”
- electrum: Download the APK procession for Android. **Additif: Connect the Electrum to the .onion address of the node’s network, do not use automatic servers when connected **
- Tor: Download the APK procession. This is the Tor browser used to connect to the Internet.
- samurai wallet: Download the APK procession. Call your Samourai Dojo or use it in Whirlpool.
- BlueWalletBlueWallet is an easy-to-use wallet for both Bitcoin and Lightning.
- SBWBonasse and easy Bitcoin and Lightning app
- ProtonVPN: This is the VPN I use – they have a free consommateur with country-limited connection options, but they also offer payment étranger. Find a quality VPN corvée that offers their apps via apk.
- cable: You can buy a SIM/eSIM with Bitcoin to get a phone number to use as one-time verification via SMS. (You may want to create a new Telegram account, bicause you may have used your personal number to verify your account)
- an itemA chatting app that is used by many. Some have heard of Matrix, element is the app that you can download to your phone.
Anyone using APK files should only use the ones on the project’s pogne website or Github garçon. It’s highly recommended that you avoid websites that offer APKs for an app that you can’t find – I don’t empilement them, the sites have rebuilt them and who knows if you’re getting the real app or an app loaded with remote access to whatever information goes in there. So, if you can’t find the project’s APK easily on their contrée, démarrage them directly and ask them.
Steps to build your own opt-out esquisse:
- Choose Googled OS.
- Download Bitcoin and Lightning apps at gîte.
- Add security apps like VPN browser and Tor.
- Leave your gîte, take your spare phone with you.
- Find out what works / doesn’t work for you.
- What are the apps you “can’t en direct without?”
- Ask yourself, “What security holes did I elle-même?”
- Atout indication in being able to use Bitcoin privately.
I hope you found this entrefilet useful. To me, this is just another rung as you climb the ladder of the bitcoin rabbit hole. Using technology doesn’t mean we have to give up liberties for easy and convenient choices. This means that we can develop a choice esquisse while still using Bitcoin. If you enjoyed this, give the other two éditoriaux a read, “Is This Errant Banking – Bitcoin On The Go” – where I build a Lightning node preste device and take it for a road trip. Then read, “How To Make To Make Your Lightning Network Node Errant” – This is the technical dirigé on how to make a node preste. If you can stratagème all three themes, you’ll really be on your way to opting out.
I’ve included three photos to shoot the end gardien de but.
This is a guest post by Anthony Feliciano. The opinions expressed are entirely their own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of BTC Inc or Bitcoin Périodique.